FREE Carers Rights Day 2023 Event
Carers Rights Day is an annual event held on 24 November run by Carers UK to raise awareness of Carer’s rights and what support is available.
Carers in Birmingham are invited to attend a free Carers Rights Day event organised by Forward Carers on Wednesday 22 November, 10.30 am – 2.30pm at TouchBase Pears in Selly Oak.
If you look after someone who needs your help due to a disability, serious illness, frailty or addiction, this event is for you. You do not need to be registered with Birmingham Carers Hub to attend or in receipt of welfare benefits in relation to your caring role, you are very welcome to come along.
What can I Expect from the Day?
Our event is called ‘Planning for your Whole Caring Journey’ so there will be a wealth of information and advice to help you navigate the complex world of caring. You will be able to get information about finances, planning for the future and much more.
Various organisations will be available to speak to on the day, there will be FREE:
- Informative talks
- Health checks
- Lunch and refreshments
- Live music provided by Samantha Oxborough- Singer of the national anthem, opening ceremony at the Commonwealth games 2022!
You’ll also have the chance to connect with other Carers and meet new people. Whether you have been caring for a while or just starting out on your caring journey, our event is the perfect way to get the information and support you need. While you are there, you can take a stroll around the new accessible sensory garden that has been created by Sense and the Noel Sweeney Foundation.
Here is an outline of the day.
|Morning Sessions from 10.30|
|10: 30 – 11:00||Talk on Benefits|
|11.10 – 11:40||Talk on Wills and Power of Attorney from our preferred legal partner|
|11:50 – 12:20||Public Health – feedback from The Growing Older in Birmingham as a Carer Event|
|12:30 – 1:30||Lunch and live singer|
|Afternoon Sessions from 1.30||#YouSaid #WeDid|
|13:30 – 13:50||Talk on Bereavement|
|Throughout the day activity||Health checks & massage|
Services & Professionals With Stalls
- Birmingham Carers Hub– Information & advice including Carer’s Assessments
- Dementia Carers Hub– Information & advice including groups, awareness sessions & Carer’s Assessments
- Home Instead– Information
- Occupational Therapy & Birmingham City Council Social Worker – Information & advice
- YMCA Sutton Coldfield– Young Adult Carer support
- Wildings Solicitors – Information & advice
- Forward Carers – Free data sim card information, Carer Friendly ID Card & more
- Birmingham City Council – Information & advice
- Birmingham Hospice– Information & advice
- Barefoot Birmingham – Find out about free yoga sessions
- Occupational Therapists and Social Workers – Information & advice
- Birmingham Hospice – Information & advice
- Birmingham Carers Hub Cost of Living – Information & advice
- Carers UK – Information & advice
- University Hospitals Birmingham – Find out how the Carer Support Officers can help you
- Healthwatch – Information & advice
- University of Birmingham Widening Participation Team – Information & advice
- Cruse Bereavement Support Birmingham – Information & advice
- Bridgit Care – Information & advice
- Gateway Family Services – Information & advice
- A Natural Undertaking– Information on funerals that celebrate life
Our event is taking place at TouchBase Pears, 750 Bristol Rd, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 6NA. Limited parking is available at Sense TouchBase Pears but spaces for parents and for blue badge holders will be available on a first come first served basis.
Other parking is available on local side streets and over the road at Selly Oak Centre, Battery Retail Park on Chapel Lane. An ANPR parking system is in place at the retail park where parking is free for 3 hours. Selly Oak Shopping Park, B29 6SN also has free parking for up to 4 hours.
To walk from Selly Oak train station to TouchBase Pears takes around two minutes and there are several bus services that stop nearby on the Bristol Road. The 61 and 63 buses both stop on Elliot Road and at Selly Oak train station and run roughly every ten minutes throughout the day.
We really hope you can make it, it’s going to be a great event.