Carer Services

Other External Carer Support

Outside of the Birmingham Carers Hub offer, Carers can also access support with advocacy and mental health. There is also local support available to Young Carers.

Birmingham Carers Hub provides a wide range of support for Carers. Sometimes there are circumstances where we are unable to help and we will signpost you to the most appropriate organisation, or if you prefer we can make the referral for you.

Advocacy Support

An advocate can support you to tell other people what you want, need and feel, your advocate will NOT tell you what to do. You are in  control. It is about what YOU want to do. You can find out more about advocacy in this independent guide to advocacy.

The person you care for is entitled to independent advocacy support through their Assessment process. This is a free service, independent of Adult Social Care services.

Independent advocacy aims to make it easier for you, and the person you care, for to navigate the Assessment and Review processes, ensuring the rights of the person you care for are upheld, supporting them to achieve the best possible outcomes.

As a Carer you may also be entitled to independent advocacy support through your Statutory Carer’s Assessment. Please visit the POhWER website, or call them on 0300 456 2370 to find out more.

Mental Health Support

If you support someone with mental health needs Homegroup offers information and advice to Carers of any age, who support people with mental health needs. The support offered may include support access to respite, housing and finance. Carers can be referred to the service through agencies, by someone who thinks you need support or by calling directly on 0300 304 5530.

Home Group provides a range of high-quality information, advice, one-to-one and group/peer support to carers of adults with mental health needs across the city of Birmingham. Carers can be of any age including young carers (those aged 4 – 17 years old). The cared-for individual will need to be registered with a Birmingham GP (NHS Birmingham West and Sandwell, NHS Birmingham Cross city, NHS Birmingham South and Central).  The service provides person-centred support based on needs identified by the carer. These may include:

  • health and wellbeing support
  • advice and support to engage with clinicians and services
  • support to access respite
  • information about mental health issues
  • support around social issues including employment, housing and finances
  • supported access to opportunities for social engagement
  • Birmingham carers can also offer an overarching family support plan that underpins an
    entire family unit and their support needs.

If you require any further information or to make a referral, please call 0300 304 5530, Home Group is open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday. You can email or visit their website.

Other Support with Mental Health

If you need someone to talk to who won’t judge or tell you what to do contact a Samaritan any time day or night from any phone for Free (24 hrs a day). Click here for more details

Shout 85258 is a free, confidential, anonymous text support service. You can text from wherever youare in the UK.  If you are  struggling to cope and need to talk, the trained Shout Volunteers are there for you, day or night.  Text ‘SHOUT’ to 85258

If your life is at imminent risk, please call 999 for immediate help.

Support for Young Carers under 18 years

Maybe you help your mum, dad, brother or sister by making drinks or snacks, cleaning and tidying, or by talking to them and keeping them company. You may feel you miss out because you have to look after your parent or another adult. Or your life may be different because your mum or dad takes a lot of time to look after your brother or sister.

If you are aged under 18 years old and you look after a family member who has a disability or an illness, then you are a young carer.

Spurgeons is an externally commissioned service providing a wide range of support and services for Young Carers. Depending on your level of need, you will receive confidential one-to-one support with a dedicated worker, a monthly Young Carers respite group, help with problems at school or college and the opportunity to take an activity break, make friends and have fun.  If you are under the age of 18 then you usually need parental permission for you to be able to join Spurgeons Young Carers.

How to make a referral to Spurgeons 
Anyone can make a referral to Birmingham Young Carers Unite. Referrals are followed up with a home visit to assess the level of care being provided. You can either complete the referral form with as many details as you can and email it back to or call 0121 638 0876 to have any questions answered. Download the referral form here.