Energy Bills Support
The government has recently set out decisive action to support people and businesses with their energy bills.
The Energy Bills Support Scheme provides a £400 non-repayable discount to eligible households to help with their energy bills over winter 2022 to 2023. All households with a domestic electricity connection in England, Scotland and Wales are eligible for the discount and it will be paid automatically. Beware, if you get a message asking for your bank details, this could be a scam.
The discount will be applied to your monthly household electricity bill for 6 months starting in October 2022. You’ll get:
- £66 in October and November
- £67 in December, January, February and March
You’ll get the discount monthly, even if you pay for your energy quarterly or use a payment card. Find out more about the Energy Bills Support Scheme.
Other Help Available
If you’re in debt to your energy supplier, you might be able to get a grant to help pay it off.
You may be able to get other kinds of support, including:
- a £650 Cost of Living Payment for households on means tested benefits
- a £300 Pensioner Cost of Living Payment, to be paid alongside the Winter Fuel Payment
- a £150 Disability Cost of Living Payment for people who get certain disability benefits
- help from the Household Support Fund from your local council