Our Services

Council Tax Reduction for People with Dementia

To help pay for local services, local authorities such as Birmingham City Council charge residential properties (owner-occupied or rented) council tax. If you are living with dementia or caring for a person with dementia, it may affect how much council tax you pay and you may be entitled to a reduction in council tax.

This reduction also applies to households that include people living with severe mental impairment, such as Parkinson’s disease, those who have suffered a stroke, those with severe learning difficulties and those who have suffered such impairment as a result of injury,

To qualify for a discount or exemption, someone must be medically certified as having a condition that affects their intelligence and social functioning that appears to be permanent, and be entitled to (but not necessarily receiving) at least one of a number of qualifying benefits such as:

  • Incapacity benefit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Unemployability supplement as an increase to Disablement Pension
  • Increase in the rate of Disablement Pension as constant attendance is needed
  • Unemployability supplement payable with War Disablement Pension
  • Care component of Disability Living Allowance at the higher or middle rate
  • Disabled Persons Tax Credit where previously entitled to Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Income Support disability premium awarded on the grounds of incapacity for work
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance if received by the partner of the severely mentally impaired person
  • Personal Independence Payment  with a standard or enhanced daily living component
  • Armed Forces independence payment
  • Disability Working  Allowance where based on getting Income Support including disability premium
  • Universal Credit including an element for limited capability for work or limited capability for work and work-related activity

Birmingham City Council will need a certificate signed by a doctor for each qualifying person in the household, and evidence of entitlement to a qualifying benefit.

Here is a copy of the form to complete. If you need any help completing the form, one of Birmingham Carers Hub’s advisors can help you. You can email info@birminghamcarershub.org.uk or call 0333 006 9711.