Beware of This Latest Scam!
Warning – criminals are exploiting cost of living crisis to target the public with energy rebate scams
Energy prices are set to increase on 1 October 2022 and in the last two weeks of September, more than 1,500 reports have been made to the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB) about scam Ofgem emails offering energy rebates.
All of the reported emails display the email subject header “Claim your bill rebate now” and the criminals behind the scam are using the Ofgem logo and colours to make the email appear authentic.
The reported scam emails claim that you are due an energy rebate payment as part of a government scheme and provide links for you to follow to apply for the rebate. The links in the emails lead to malicious websites designed to steal personal and financial information. Ofgem would never sell you energy, ask for personal information or come to your property.
A very similar scam in relation to energy bill discounts is supposedly from the Government as you can see in this example below. Information about the official Government’s Energy Bills Support Scheme, providing energy bill discounts is available here.
How to protect yourself
- If you have any doubts about a message, contact the organisation directly.
- Don’t use the numbers or address in the message – use the details from their official website. Remember, your bank (or any other official source) will never ask you to supply personal information via email.
- If you have received an email which you’re not quite sure about, forward it to email@example.com. Send us emails that feel suspicious, even if you’re not certain they’re a scam – we can check.
- Follow the Take Five to Stop Fraud advice:
- STOP: Taking a moment to stop and think before parting with your money or information could keep you safe.
- CHALLENGE: Could it be fake? It’s ok to reject, refuse or ignore any requests. Only criminals will try to rush or panic you.
- PROTECT: Contact your bank immediately if you think you’ve fallen for a scam and report it to Action Fraud.